<span class="highlight">satellite</span> <span class="highlight">internet</span>

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 21, 2006 at 23:12
ThreadID: 40557 Views:1896 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if any tec,s out there could tell me if i could make my satellite broadband a mobile unit ? & how it could be done thanks..666TOY
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Russel & Mary - Friday, Dec 22, 2006 at 07:20

Friday, Dec 22, 2006 at 07:20
This might sound a bit simplistic......how did you get the satellite broadband in the first place? Did it arrive in a mobile unit....a white van???? Sooooooo, why can't you take it in your "white van" ???????. Rus.
AnswerID: 211625

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Dec 29, 2006 at 01:03

Friday, Dec 29, 2006 at 01:03
He could always put it IN the white van LOL :-)
FollowupID: 472647

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Dec 22, 2006 at 08:45

Friday, Dec 22, 2006 at 08:45
Toy

I had sat broadband and I am sure I could turn it into a mobile arrangement with one major issue - the aiming of the satellite dish. AT different locations you would have to know where to aim the dish, after that it should be all easy. I believe the aiming is done rounghly by direction and then tuned with a meter that shows signal strength. Good luck tho, interested to see how you go

The size of the thing is prohibitive too maybe, mine is like 1.5m across and its still on the roof, I am thinking of transferring it to the roof of the cubbyhouse up the back or the roof of my new garden shed I am building.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 211636

Reply By: Nix - Thursday, Dec 28, 2006 at 23:10

Thursday, Dec 28, 2006 at 23:10
Hi,

I have a mobile set up that i purchased a few years ago, with a company know as esat.

It has since been taken over by several companies and is now run by bordernet, but the satelite it uses is an optus satellite.

Basically you need to have a satellite meter. I purchased on off ebay for about $500.

I have a portable tripod mount (by portable it is big and heavy, but dismantles easily). You set this up, plonk the dish on top, and pint it in the general direction of the satellite (north, 45 degres above the horizon in sydney, but you can look up locations for satellites on the web pretty easily) set the meter to the satellite you use. I think my service is on either b1 or b3, cant remebr off the top of my head. You then move the dish round till you find it, then fine tune till you get the strongest signal.

Once this is done, you move the meter to a differnt mode (signal to noise) and twist the transmitter bit to get this is high as possible.

Once that is done you fire up the satellite modem and ring optus to check it is ok (if it is not right you can interfere with other services on the satellite and optus dont like this too much.

All in all, after a little practise it takes about 30 mins to set up, and is quite bulky. It is good if you will be away from fixed servies for a while, but not that good if you move all the time.

You can get automaticaly aligning dishes to go on camper rooves etc, but these are about 15K. If you want to move alot try Telstras CDMA/nextg network. I have this too, it is tiny and probably works in 80% of the places I want net access.

AnswerID: 212345

Follow Up By: 666toy - Friday, Dec 29, 2006 at 12:06

Friday, Dec 29, 2006 at 12:06
Thanks for your reply. I now know which way to go about it . Will look for a signal meter soon. thanks again everybody
FollowupID: 472673

Sponsored Links